Secondary Prevention Lipid Performance Measures
- Drozda JP Jr, Ferguson TB Jr, Jneid H, et al.
- 2015 ACC/AHA Focused Update of Secondary Prevention Lipid Performance Measures: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Performance Measures. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015;Dec 10:[Epub ahead of print].
The following are five key points to remember about the American College of Cardiology (ACC)/American Heart Association (AHA) focused update of secondary prevention lipid performance measures:
- Performance measures include some of the most important practice recommendations that may be used for assessment of quality. As such, this published document outlines measures related to the ACC/AHA Guideline on the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol to Reduce Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Risk, published in 2013 and pertaining only to secondary prevention.
- Data from several studies including large registries such as the National Cardiovascular Data Registry (NCDR) PINNACLE Registry suggest that utilization of statins is not optimal.
- Measures were outlined for coronary artery disease (CAD), peripheral artery disease (PAD), percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), acute myocardial infarction (AMI), and a new measure for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD).
- These performance measures included: for PAD, CAD, and AMI, the number of patients who were offered moderate- to high-intensity statin therapy; for PCI, the number of patients who were offered optimal medical therapy at discharge; and for ASCVD, the number of patients (ages 21-75 years) who were offered moderate- to high-intensity statin therapy. Use of shared decision making was emphasized as a key component of performance measures.
- Performance measures should reflect the current guideline’s recommendation for the use of high-intensity statins. Future investigation is required to more accurately evaluate these measures including adherence to performance measures and characteristics of the shared decision process.
< Back to Listings