ACC has modernized Expert Consensus Documents to target key points of care with concise decision pathways rather than the traditional longer documents. These newly rebranded Expert Consensus Decision Pathways (ECDPs) leverage the expert insights drawn from a multidisciplinary group of experts and relevant stakeholders who are convened for Roundtables often held as part of ACC's Quality Programs.
ECDPs are intended to provide guidance for clinicians in areas where evidence may be limited, new and evolving, or lack sufficient data to fully inform clinical decision making. They include algorithms that are more actionable and can be translated into tools or apps to further accelerate the use of ACC's clinical policy at the point of care.
Current ECDPs include:
- Periprocedural Management of Anticoagulation: This pathway helps clinicians decide on whether and when to interrupt anticoagulation before a procedure, whether and how to use a parenteral bridging agent, and how to safely restart therapy after a procedure for patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation. Find out more at ACC.org/PMACDecisionPathway.
- Bleed Management in Anticoagulation: This pathway helps assess and manage a bleeding event using precise guidance on employing new reversal agents. Clinicians can make informed choices on restarting anticoagulation therapy after the bleed is under control. Find out more at ACC.org/BleedMgmtDecisionPathway.
- Non-Statin Therapies for LDL-C Lowering: This pathway guides clinician decision making on the optimization of statin therapies in accordance with clinical guidelines and practical guidance on the use of non-statin therapies for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) risk reduction. Find out more at ACC.org/LDLDecisionPathway.
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) in the Management of Adults With Aortic Stenosis: This pathway provides practical guidance in managing a potential TAVR candidate by outlining key steps in patient selection and evaluation, imaging modalities and measurements, issues in performing the TAVR procedure and recommendations for post-TAVR management. Find out more at ACC.org/TAVRDecisionPathway.
- Management of Mitral Regurgitation (MR): This pathway provides recommendations to guide the approach to patients identified with MR by emphasizing clinical and echocardiographic assessment, proper identification of the mechanism and etiology of MR, determination of MR severity, assessment of the feasibility of surgical or transcatheter repair in appropriate patients, and indications for possible referral to a regional, comprehensive valve center. Find out more at ACC.org/MRDecisionPathway.
- Optimization of Heart Failure Treatment: This pathway provides practical guidance to successfully and expeditiously treat the patient with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction by addressing ten pivotal issues unresolved in guidelines, including new medical therapies, prevention and comorbidities. Find out more at ACC.org/HFDecisionPathway.