2020 Update to ACC/AHA Atrial Fibrillation Performance Measures: Key Points
- Heidenreich PA, Estes NAM 3rd, Fonarow GC, et al.
- 2020 Update to the 2016 ACC/AHA Clinical Performance and Quality Measures for Adults With Atrial Fibrillation or Atrial Flutter: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Performance Measures. J Am Coll Cardiol 2020;Dec 7:[Epub ahead of print].
The following are key points to remember from the 2020 Update to the 2016 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association (ACC/AHA) Clinical Performance and Quality Measures for Adults With Atrial Fibrillation or Atrial Flutter:
- The performance measures are taken from the 2019 ACC/AHA/Heart Rhythm Society atrial fibrillation guideline update and are selected from the strongest recommendations (Class I or III).
- The recent guideline change regarding the definition of valvular atrial fibrillation is now incorporated into the performance measures. This includes patients with moderate or severe mitral stenosis and those with a mechanical prosthetic heart valve.
- The recent guideline changes regarding different CHA2DS2-VASc risk score treatment thresholds for men (>1) and women (>2) are now incorporated into the performance measures.
- There are five performance measures (PM):
- PM-1: CHA2DS2-VASc risk score documented prior to discharge
- PM-2: Anticoagulation prescribed prior to discharge
- PM-3: Prothrombin time/international normalized ratio planned follow-up documented prior to discharge for warfarin treatment
- PM-4: CHA2DS2-VASc risk score documented during outpatient encounter
- PM-5: Anticoagulation prescribed during outpatient encounter
Clinical Topics: Anticoagulation Management, Arrhythmias and Clinical EP, Cardiac Surgery, Prevention, Valvular Heart Disease, Anticoagulation Management and Atrial Fibrillation, Implantable Devices, SCD/Ventricular Arrhythmias, Atrial Fibrillation/Supraventricular Arrhythmias, Cardiac Surgery and Arrhythmias, Cardiac Surgery and VHD
Keywords: Anticoagulants, Arrhythmias, Cardiac, Atrial Fibrillation, Atrial Flutter, Heart Valve Diseases, Heart Valve Prosthesis, Mitral Valve Stenosis, Outpatients, Patient Discharge, Quality of Health Care, Risk Assessment, Secondary Prevention, Thromboembolism, Warfarin
< Back to Listings