The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015, commonly referred to as MACRA, introduces a new Medicare physician payment system called the Quality Payment Program (QPP).
The QPP is comprised of two pathways in which clinicians will participate in order to receive Medicare payment: the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Advanced Alternative Payment Models (APMs). Most clinicians will participate in MIPS, which bundles the Physician Quality Reporting System, the Value Modifier and the Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program into one program. The Advanced APM track provides incentives for clinicians who participate in new payment models that incorporate financial risk.
Regardless of which pathway in which a clinician participates, he/she will be measured on four core components: Quality, Improvement Activities, Advancing Care Information and Cost. Under MIPS, these components make up the categories that comprise a clinician’s or group’s MIPS composite score. Under the Advanced APM track, these elements are incorporated into the way a specific model is designed and assessed.
Quality Payment Program Information
- QPP Final Regulation Overview
- CMS QPP Website
- CMS Says "Pick Your Pace" for MACRA Quality Payment Program Participation in 2017
Merit-Based Incentive Payment System
- MIPS: Quality
- MIPS: Advancing Care Information
- MIPS: Improvement Activities
- MIPS: Cost (Coming Soon)
Advanced Alternative Payment Models
- Advanced APM Overview (Coming Soon)
- Piecing Together the MACRA Puzzle (Cardiology)
- A Micro View of MACRA (JACC Leadership Page)
- Ensuring Value in a Value-Based Health System (JACC Leadership Page)
- MACRA: What You Need to Know (Cardiology)
- ACC Legislative Conference 2016: Are You MACRA Ready?
- MACRA: What Is It, and What Does It Mean For You?
- ACC Submits Comments to CMS on Proposed MACRA Structure
- ACC Submits Comments to CMS on MACRA Implementation
Education and Meetings
- Getting Ready for 2017: Overview of Physician and Hospital Outpatient Fee Schedule and Update on MACRA and CMS Mandated Bundles Webinar
- 2017 Cardiovascular Summit
- "Late Breaking Topics: The Latest on MACRA, Physician Fee Schedule and Other Trends From the Hill" Webinar
- "MIPS and Physician Value Programs" Webinar
- "Navigating the QRUR" Webinar
- "Navigating the S-QRUR" Webinar
- "Payment Models, Are They Working?” Webinar