The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015, commonly referred to as MACRA, introduces a new Medicare physician payment system. In addition to replacing the Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) formula, MACRA:
- Establishes a framework for a quality-based system
- Streamlines current quality reporting programs (PQRS, Value Modifier and EHR Incentive Program) into one system
- Reauthorizes two years of funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program
MACRA is comprised of two pathways in which clinicians will participate in order to receive Medicare payment: the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Advanced Alternative Payment Models (Advanced APMs). Most clinicians will participate in MIPS, which bundles the Physician Quality Reporting System, the Value Modifier and the Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program into one program. Advanced APMs open up new methods of paying providers under Medicare. Regardless of which pathway a clinician participates in, he/she will be measured on four core components: quality, resource use, clinical practice improvement and meaningful use of certified EHRs.
Visit the links below for everything you need to know about how MACRA will impact your practice.
- MACRA: A New Era for Medicare Payment
- MIPS: Quality Reporting
- MIPS: Electronic Health Record Use
- MIPS: Clinical Practice Improvement (Coming Soon)
- CMS Says "Pick Your Pace" for MACRA Quality Payment Program Participation in 2017
- CMS Proposes Structure For MACRA Implementation
- Piecing Together the MACRA Puzzle (Cardiology)
- A Micro View of MACRA (JACC Leadership Page)
- Ensuring Value in a Value-Based Health System (JACC Leadership Page)
- MACRA: What You Need to Know (Cardiology)
- ACC Legislative Conference 2016: Are You MACRA Ready?
- MACRA: What Is It, and What Does It Mean For You?
- ACC Submits Comments to CMS on Proposed MACRA Structure
- ACC Submits Comments to CMS on MACRA Implementation
Education and Meetings
- "Late Breaking Topics: The Latest on MACRA, Physician Fee Schedule and Other Trends From the Hill" Webinar
- "MIPS and Physician Value Programs" Webinar
- "Navigating the QRUR" Webinar
- "Navigating the S-QRUR" Webinar
- "Payment Models, Are They Working?” Webinar
- MACRA Frequently Asked Questions
- MIPS/APM Requirements Fact Sheet (CMS)
- Advancing Care Information Fact Sheet (CMS)