Introduction & Agenda
- Letter to Participants from Dr. Christie Ballantyne
- LDL: Address the Risk Think Tank Agenda
- Interactive Table Discussion Questions
Lipid Decision Pathway
- 2016 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on the Role of Non-Statin Therapies for LDL-Cholesterol Lowering in the Management of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease Risk (JACC – Lloyd-Jones et al., 2016).
- 2016 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway for the Role of Non-Statin Therapies for LDL-C Lowering in the Management of ASCVD Risk: Algorithms for Consideration (JACC – Lloyd-Jones et al., 2016).
- Why Don’t Physicians Follow Clinical Practice Guidelines? A Framework for Improvement (JAMA – Cabana et al. 1999).
- Provider Understanding of the 2013 ACC/AHA Cholesterol Guideline (JCL – Virani et al., 2016).
- Full Coverage for Preventive Medications after Myocardial Infarction (NEJM – Choudry, et al. 2011).
- Effect of Financial Incentives to Physicians, Patients, or Both on Lipid Levels: A Randomized Clinical Trial (JAMA – Asch, et al. 2015).
- Primary Nonadherence to Statin Therapy: Patients’ Perceptions (AJMC – Harrison, et al. 2013).
- When Compliance Is an Issue—How to Enhance Statin Adherence and Address Adverse Effects (Curr Atheroscler Rep – Birtcher, 2015).
Shared Decision Making
- Clinician-Patient Risk Discussion for Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Importance to Implementation of the 2013 ACC/AHA Guidelines (JACC – Martin, et al., 2015).
- What to say and how to say it: Effective Communication for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention (Curr Opin Cardiol – Navar, et al., 2016).
- Shared Decision-Making and Patient Empowerment in Preventive Cardiology (Curr Cardiol Rep —Kambhampati, et al. 2016).
Systems of Care
- 2015 ACC Health Policy Statement on Cardiovascular Team-Based Care and the Role of Advanced Practice Providers (JACC – Brush, et al. 2015).
- Building an Engaged Workforce at Cleveland Clinic (JHL – Patrnchak, 2013).
- Employee Health Benefit Redesign at the Academic Health Center: A Case Study (Acad Med —Marshall, et al., 2013).
- Session 1: The Clinician’s Conundrum
The First Line of Defense Against ASCVD Events: How Are Clinicians Doing in the Treatment of High-Risk Patients? – Salim S. Virani, MD, PhD, FACC, FAHA
Reviewing the Playbook: Why Are Clinicians Still Struggling with Prescribing Evidence-based Therapies? – Pamela B. Morris, MD, FACC, FACP, FACPM, FAHA, FASPC, FNLA
- Session 2: The Patient’s Predicament
The Buck (Therapy) Stops Here: Patient-Related Barriers to Evidence-Based Therapies ¬ – Kim K. Birtcher, MS, PharmD, AACC, FNLA, CLS (10 minutes)
Moving the Dial in High Risk Patients: How Do We Strengthen the Relationship Between Providers and Patients? ¬ – Lynne T. Braun, PhD, CPN, FAHA, FPCNA, FAAN
- Session 3: The Systems of Care Stumbling Blocks
Reviewing the Current Structure: Documentation, Denials, Prior Authorizations, and Costs – Christie M. Ballantyne, MD, FACC, FACP, FNLA
Building More Effective and “Friendlier” Systems of Care for Population Health – Seth S. Martin, MD, MHS, FACC (15 minutes)