Introduction & Agenda
- Chan PS, Maddox TM, Tang F, et al. Practice-Level Variation in Warfarin Use Among Outpatients With Atrial Fibrillation (from the NCDR PNNACLE Program). Am J Cardiol. 2011;108:1136-1140.
- Kovacs, RJ, Flaker, GC, Saxonhouse, SJ, et al. Practical Management of Anticoagulation in Patients With Atrial Fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;65(13):1340-60.
- Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC, Shehab N, et al. Emergency Hospitalizations for Adverse Drug Events in Older Americans. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:2002-12.
- O'Brien EC, Holmes DN, Ansell EJ, et al. Physician practices regarding contraindications to oral anticoagulation in atrial fibrillation: Findings from the Outcomes Registry for Better Informed Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (ORBIT-AF) registry. Am Heart J. 2014;167:601-609.e1.
- Kakkar AK, Mueller I, Bassand JP, et al. Risk Profiles and Antithrombotic Treatment of Patients Newly Diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation at Risk of Stroke: Perspectives from the International, Observational, Prospective GARFIELD Registry. PLoS ONE. 2013;8(5):e63479. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0063479
Economic & Societal Factors
- Effect of Media / Advertising on Physician Treatment Choices– Cardiologist and Primary Care Physician Report: Findings from the June 2013 CardioSurve and PCP studies
- “Does Media Impact Physician Decision-Making?”CardioSurve Newsletter/December 2013.
- Burton P, Peacock F. A Medwatch review of reported events in patients who discontinued rivaroxaban (XARELTO) therapy in response to legal advertising. Heart Rhythm Case Reports. 2016;0:1-2.
- Greene J. Mass Tort Ads: Sowing Confusion or Educating Potential Victims? Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2016;67:A18-A20.
- Tippett E. Medical Advice from Lawyers: A Content Analysis of Advertising for Drug Injury Lawsuits. American Journal of Law & Medicine. 2015;41:7-48.
- Gu Q, Zeng F, Patel BV, et al. Part D Coverage Gap and Adherence to Diabetes Medications. Am J Manag Care. 2010;16(12):911-918.
- New Analysis Shows Impact of High Deductible Plans on Healthcare Utilization. January 27, 2015. http://symphonyhealth.com/2015/01/new-analysis-shows-impact-high-deductible-plans-healthcare-utilization/, Accessed October 4, 2016.
- Patterns in Prescription Utilization for High-Deductible Health Plan Enrollees Show Concerning Trends - See more at: http://www.ajmc.com/contributor/neeraj-sood-phd/2016/01/patterns-in-prescription-utilization-for-high-deductible-health-plan-enrollees-show-concerning-trends#sthash.Dj5x6Cyi.dpuf, Accessed October 4, 2016.
- Greene J, et al. How much do clinicians support patient self-management? The development of a measure to assess clinician self-management support. Healthcare (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hjdsi.2016.05.007i, accessed September 29, 2016.
- Tammy T, et al. Impact of electronic personal health record use on engagement and intermediate health outcomes among cardiac patients: a quasi-experimental study. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016;23:119-128.
- Crivera C, et al. Attitudes toward anticoagulant treatment among nonvalvular atrial fibrillation patients at high risk of stroke and low risk of bleed. Patient Preference and Adherence. 2016;10:795-805.
- Cutler DM, Everett W. Thinking Outside the Pillbox — Medication Adherence as a Priority for Health Care Reform. N Engl J Med. 2010;366:1553-1555.
- Nieuwlaat R, Wilczynski N, Navarro T, et al. Interventions for enhancing medication adherence. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, Issue 11. Art. No.: CD000011. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000011.pub4.
- Stacey D, Légaré F, Col NF, et al. Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD001431. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001431.pub4.
Health Systems Resources
- Hicho MD, Rybarczyk A, Boros M. Interventions unrelated to anticoagulation in a pharmacist-managed anticoagulation clinic. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2016;73(suppl 3):S80-7.
- Barnes GD, Nallamothu BK, Sales AE, Froelich JB. Reimagining Anticoagulation Clinics in the Era of Direct Oral Anticoagulants. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2016;9:182-185.
- Asthma Action Plan. Developed by a committee facilitated by the Regional Asthma Management and Prevention (RAMP) Initiative, a program of the Public Health Institute. Based on the recommendations from the NHLBI Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma, NIH Publication No. 07-4051 (August 2007). http://www.aafp.org/dam/familydoctor/documents/asthma_action_plan.pdf, Accessed Sept. 29, 2016.
- European Heart Rhythm Association universal NOAC anticoagulation card. Excerpted from Heidbuchel H, Verhamme P, Alings M, et al. 2015 Updated European Heart Rhythm Association Practical Guide on the use of non-vitamin K antagonist anticoagulants in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation. Europace 2015. doi:10.1093/europace/euv309.
- Keynote_Kovacs_Anticoag 2016
- Session 1_Hylek_High Cost of Anticoagulants and Other Important Factors
- Session 1_Sarpatwari_Negative Impact of 1-800 Bad Drug Ads
- Session 2_Lopes_Who Should Not Be Anticoagulated?
- Session 2_ Alvarez_Using a Multidisciplinary Team in the ED for Initiation of Anticoagulation
- Session 2_ Rose_Coordination of Anticoagulation Care_the Evolving Role of Anticoag Clinics
- Session 3_ Allen_The Patient's Role in Initiation of Therapy
- Session 3_ Mirro_Improving Patient Adherence_Engagement and Critical Resources for Long-Term Management