The ACC Heart House Roundtables address high-value topics by convening multidisciplinary experts and stakeholders in interactive and facilitated discussion. Heart House Roundtables explore the practical issues that clinicians and patients face every day within a particular clinical area. These meetings gather a diverse group of experts representing a wide variety of professional societies relevant to a specific topic, as well as other key stakeholders such as patients, federal agencies, health plans, integrated health systems, and others as identified.
The diversity of expertise is critical to the success of the roundtables, which provide a valuable forum for discussion on important issues. The one-day, in-person meeting is designed to optimize in-depth discussion among participants to not only identify and clarify the issues, but also allow participants the opportunity to brainstorm possible solutions to address those issues. These meetings have attracted nationally recognized experts and have been instrumental in informing expert consensus decision pathways and the development of other ACC tools and resources. Furthermore, they have spurred conversations among participants leading to the development of important academic papers and other exciting new projects.
- Anticoagulation Consortium Roundtables: The ACC has convened yearly roundtable meetings to identify barriers and gaps in anticoagulation management and strategize on practical guidance and solutions to improve anticoagulation care. Discussions at these roundtables have led to several published articles in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, including the 2017 Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on Periprocedural Management of Anticoagulation For Patients With Atrial Fibrillation and an upcoming pathway on management of bleeding. For more information, visit ACC.org/Anticoagulation.
- Managing CV Disease Risk in Diabetes Roundtable: This new roundtable engages participants in addressing the key questions and issues regarding the management of CV disease in diabetic patients with a focus on the emergence of new cardioprotective antidiabetic agents. The purpose of this effort is to understand what exciting new clinical trial data mean for the cardiology community and to bring clinicians and stakeholders together to close gaps in care and work toward improved outcomes for diabetic patients with established or high risk of cardiovascular disease. For more information, visit ACC.org/CVDRiskDiabetes.
- LDL: Address the Risk Think Tanks: These meetings focus on closing gaps in lipid management with an emphasis on emerging evidence and incorporation in practice. Earlier meetings identified the gaps in care and the role of combination therapy, and recent meetings have focused on barriers to implementation and optimization of therapy. These successful meetings have led to the development of several mobile apps and the publication of the 2016 Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on the Role of Non-Statin Therapies For the LDL-C Lowering in the Management of ASCVD Risk. For more information, visit ACC.org/LDL.
- Emerging Strategies for Heart Failure Roundtable: This meeting explored the practical issues of optimizing heart failure drug therapies with new evidence and guidelines, and the challenges that remain with prevention of progression and management of comorbidities. Following the roundtable, a Heart Failure Discussion Guide was created and a decision pathway is in development. Watch the videos from the roundtable discussion panels addressing the still unanswered questions about heart failure and charting a new path forward. For more information, visit ACC.org/SIMHF.
- Evolving Valve Management Strategies Roundtables: The first roundtable focused on addressing the common challenges with identifying, managing, and treating aortic stenosis and mitral regurgitation to improve valvular care. With the quickly changing landscape and expansion of transcatheter valve therapies, the second roundtable focused on processes of care and the challenging issue of defining an advanced valve center. Outputs of the roundtable meetings include a Mitral Regurgitation Health Systems Tool and patient tools for aortic stenosis and mitral regurgitation. Several clinical policy documents are also currently in development. For more information on the Succeed in Managing Heart Valve Disease Initiative, visit ACC.org/VHD.
The ACC would like to thank the supporters of these roundtables for their contribution to the success of these meetings:
- Anticoagulation Consortium Roundtables: Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and Pfizer Inc.; Daiichi Sankyo, Inc.; Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Pfizer; and Portola Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Managing CV Disease Risk in Diabetes Roundtable: AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP; Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Eli Lilly and Company; Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Novo Nordisk Inc.
- LDL: Address the Risk Think Tanks: Amgen; CVS Health, Eli Lilly, Pfizer; Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; and Sanofi.
- Emerging Strategies for Heart Failure Roundtable: Novartis
- Evolving Valve Management Strategies Roundtables: Abbott; Edwards Lifesciences; and Medtronic.