Dear Early Career Member
Dear Early Career Member,
Welcome to your professional home at the ACC the Early Career Section! I would like to thank you all for your hard work during these challenging times caring for COVID-19 patients, and your continued commitment towards the care of our cardiac patients.
As you embark through your early career journey spanning seven exciting years, it is important that you reflect on the following:
- "Sit down and really figure out why are you passionate about what you want to do." Katie Couric
Taking on projects that you are passionate about will enable you to fulfil them with enthusiasm leading to meaningful career success.
- "Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and comfort when we occasionally falter." Brad Henry
Work can be stressful at times. Make sure to set aside time off work to spend quality time with your family at home, as well as your work family, to unwind and relax.
- "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill
We are what we are today because of help and support from many people; thus, it is important to give back. Contributing your time to a scientific society is a great way to advance education, improve patient care and better the practice of cardiology.
Through unending enthusiasm, hard work and creativity in education, research and innovation, early career members play a pivotal role within the College. We believe membership within the Section will help advance your personal and professional growth. Please look for the following in the coming months:
- Broad nonclinical competency programming throughout the year, including webinars and early career focused programming at ACC's Legislative Conference and Annual Scientific Sessions.
- Monthly ACC Early Career Newsletter.
- Updates on important individual and group accomplishments within the College.
- In lines with the "Quadruple Aim" of the College focusing on member well-being, a toolkit on burnout and wellness was created and can be accessed here.
- Videos featuring early career cardiologists detailing the challenges they faced during the COVID-19 crisis and solutions on how they overcame them.
Forthcoming meetings include ACC's Legislative Conference, taking place in October 2020 in Washington, DC, and ACC.21, taking place in March 2021 in Atlanta, GA. The ACC Early Career Legislative meeting, hosted in collaboration with the ACC FIT Section during the Legislative Conference, introduces members to advocacy matters and prepares them for Capitol Hill visits. The ACC Early Career Lounge hosted a number of incredibly relevant sessions during ACC.19, many of which will be expanded for the 2021 meeting.
We encourage your engagement, formal section membership and welcome your suggestions and feedback. You can reach Section leadership at email@example.com.
Poonam Velagapudi, MD, MS, FACC
Chair, Early Career Council