Oral Semaglutide Treatment Effect in People With Obesity - OASIS 1
Contribution To Literature:
The OASIS 1 trial showed that semaglutide improves weight loss among patients with overweight/obesity.
The goal of the trial was to evaluate the oral glucagon-like peptide-1 analogue, semaglutide, compared with placebo among patients with overweight/obesity.
Patients with overweight/obesity without diabetes were randomized to semaglutide 50 mg daily (n = 334) vs. placebo (n = 333).
- Total number of enrollees: 667
- Duration of follow-up: 68 weeks
- Mean patient age: 49 years
- Percentage female: 74%
- At least 18 years of age
- Overweight with one or more bodyweight-related complications, or hypertension, dyslipidemia, obstructive sleep apnea, or cardiovascular disease, and at least one self-reported dietary bodyweight loss effort
- Self-reported bodyweight change >5 kg within the last 90 days
- Previous or planned surgery for bodyweight loss
- Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) ≥6.5%
The primary outcome, mean bodyweight change from baseline, was -15.1% in the semaglutide group vs. -2.4% in the placebo group (p < 0.0001).
- Percentage of participants who reached bodyweight reductions of ≥5%: 85% in the semaglutide group vs. 26% in the placebo group (p < 0.0001)
- Adverse events: 92% with semaglutide vs. 86% with placebo
Among patients with overweight/obesity without diabetes, oral semaglutide improves weight loss over 68 weeks. Semaglutide was associated with more adverse events compared with placebo. Future trials will need to determine if semaglutide improves cardiovascular outcomes among patients with overweight/obesity without diabetes.
Knop FK, Aroda VR, do Vale RD, et al., on behalf of the OASIS 1 Investigators. Oral semaglutide 50 mg taken once per day in adults with overweight or obesity (OASIS 1): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2023;Jun 25:[Epub ahead of print].
Keywords: Body Weight, Dyslipidemias, Glucagon-Like Peptide 1, Hypertension, Metabolic Syndrome, Obesity, Overweight, Primary Prevention, Sleep Apnea, Obstructive, Weight Loss
< Back to Listings