The 78th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA 78) focused on "Rebuilding trust and reigniting global solidarity: Accelerating action on the 2030 Agenda and its Sustainable Development Goals towards peace, prosperity, progress and sustainability for all." Upholding the human right to health and building equitable health systems are essential to achieve Universal Health Coverage (UHC) to build sustainable prevention, preparedness, and response to health emergencies.
The UN conducted the first high level meeting on UHC in Sept. 2019 in follow up to UHC's inclusion in the Sustainable Development Goals in 2015. The UNGA addressed this issue again this year, with the goal of instilling UHC and preventing the rise of catastrophic health care expenditures and related impoverishment by 2030.
The UNGA Side Event, Enhancing the Health Workforce Through Innovation, gathered speakers and panelists from leading worldwide nonprofits, NGOs, and Government entities with the following objectives:
- Illustrate that health coverage alone does not guarantee access to care and highlight the need for attention to the health workforce.
- Share examples of how technology is supporting global health workforce training.
- Highlight case studies of successful implementation of technology at the front lines of care delivery can support better management of noncommunicable diseases in communities.
- Provide policy makers with concrete ideas of how workforce issues can be addressed through task shifting, training, and through supportive technology.
Tuesday, 19 Sept., 2023
3:30-6:30 PM EDT
Scandinavia House, 58 Park Avenue, NYC
- ACC Global Hub
- NCD Academy
- JACC Global Resources
- JACC Global Burden of CVDs and Risks Interactive Tool
- Global Burden of Cardiovascular Diseases and Risks Collaboration - Access printable fact sheets on the Burden of CVD in 21 global regions