Patient and Provider Tools for Mitral Regurgitation
The evaluation and management of patients with mitral regurgitation can be complex. In an effort to improve communication (patient-provider and provider-provider) and optimize clinical care, the American College of Cardiology (ACC) has developed the useful tools outlined below. These tools are free to download and distribute.
The ACC developed the following three tools to improve patient understanding of mitral regurgitation and engage them as partners in their own healthcare:
- I Have Mitral Regurgitation: Now What? This 6-page document explains mitral regurgitation, provides informative pictures, describes testing that may occur during a patient's evaluation, outlines symptoms he or she may experience, and indicates the treatment options that may be recommended.
- About My Mitral Regurgitation. This 2-page document provides a guide to note-taking during the patient's encounter with his or her medical provider, outlining the information most relevant to their mitral regurgitation.
- My Mitral Regurgitation Tracker. This 3-page document guides the patient to record any signs or symptoms that may be related to their mitral regurgitation and other measurements that may be helpful for the physician to know, like weight, heart rate, blood pressure, and medications.
You can find out more about these tools and download them by visiting CardioSmart.org.
Healthcare Provider Tools
- MR Referral Toolkit. This toolkit assists healthcare providers with the decision of when and how to follow their patients with mitral regurgitation versus when to refer them to a valve center with the expertise that may be needed for further diagnostic testing and/or treatment. The toolkit outlines all of the information and testing that is important to provide to the referral center. Several helpful checklists are provided.
- MR Referral Algorithm. This 1-page algorithm provides a quick reference for how to manage patients with mitral regurgitation and when to consider referring them.
You can find out more about these tools and download them by visiting ACC.org.
Keywords: Algorithms, Blood Pressure, Blood Pressure Determination, Body Weights and Measures, Heart Rate, Mitral Valve Insufficiency, Heart Valve Diseases
< Back to Listings