"Education is not the filling of a bucket, but the lighting of a fire." —William Butler Yeats. My association with the ACC and its educational activities has lighted a desire to learn, educate and serve with the greatest passion and it is my hope that every one of you is able to experience the same.
With great excitement and enthusiasm I welcome you to the ACC.org/FIT webpage, the professional home for the next generation of cardiologists. The Fellows-in-Training (FIT) Section Council Leadership is excited to share with you our wide array of resources tailored to furthering your professional career. Whether your ultimate career goals rest in clinical medicine, academia, research, education, leadership, or industry, we are confident our growing repository of online content and opportunities within our Section (and the greater College) will resonate with your interests.
The 2016-2017 year saw tremendous growth for the FIT Section. Some of the many highlights include:
- Six popular FIT Forum Sessions at ACC.17 (Jeopardy, Stump the Professor, Acing the Transition, Mix and Mingle, Scholarship and Education and Mentoring the Care Team)
- FIT Lounge at ACC.17 with exciting programming including ‘Meet and Greet’ with Drs. Richard Chazal, Minnow Walsh, Valentine Fuster and Kim Eagle; ‘Medical Resident Breakfast’ session for internal medicine residents interested in pursuing cardiology training; and new this year we had a ‘Social Media’ session’ with Dr. Kevin Campbell
- Webinars on Career and Professional Development (Advocacy, Compensation, Contract Negotiations, Malpractice, Transition to Value Based Care)
- ACC.org/FIT Webpage Editorial Fellows Program (content produced on a variety of topics ranging from career development, advocacy, and educational topics)
- FIT Newsletter (monthly) with Star FIT interviews, State/Chapter Spotlights and interviews with prominent cardiologists
- Social Media Initiatives (producing Tweets for Journal Scan)
- Internal Medicine Resident Hub that provides interview tips and answers to frequently asked questions about the cardiology fellowship application process
- FITs on the Go Video Blog with numerous faculty interviews by FITs at ACC17 and AHA16
- Structural heart diseases and Imaging fellowship programs database has been invaluable for FITs applying to these specialty fellowships
In the coming year, we hope to build upon our successes and continue to expand the reach of the FIT Section. We are working to expand the highly successful Jeopardy to include International teams at ACC.18 and towards building an international working group of ACC FITs across the world to collaborate and learn while participating in various ACC activities. As always, we are always looking for eager FITs to share with us their passion for cardiology; there are a number of opportunities for your contributions - please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved! We look forward to working with you.
Poonam Velagapudi, MD, MS
Chair, Fellow-in-Training Section Leadership Council