Tobacco 21 is a policy that raises the legal age to purchase nicotine and tobacco products to 21; after sweeping legislation passed in January 2020, federal Tobacco 21 is now in effect. State and local work continues, and ACC's Advocacy team is committed to strengthening these measures to protect public health, especially for youth.
Use these resources to promote and strengthen Tobacco 21 efforts in your state:
- Review Tobacco 21 developments in your state.
- Connect with your ACC Chapter.
- Host a practice visit.
- Contact your state legislators.
- Look up your legislators' contact information at ACC.org/AdvocacyAction.
- Write a letter to the editor in your local publications.
- View this example of a letter to the editor from an ACC member. Contact Katie Glenn at KGlenn@ACC.org for more information on how you can promote Tobacco 21 through a letter to the editor.
- Contact your ACC State Affairs team at AdvocacyLeg@ACC.org for more information on how you can take action on Tobacco 21.