Explore a Future in Cardiovascular Medicine
ACC is dedicated to creating a strong, diverse and inclusive pipeline of future cardiovascular physicians and scientists. ACC's Internal Medicine Cardiology Programs are designed to introduce participants to a career in cardiology by connecting them with the mentors, peer network and resources they need to understand career opportunities in the field of cardiology. Apply to participate in a future cohort to gain exposure to education, knowledge and a community of support. Click the boxes and explore the page below to learn more!
Statement of Need
ACC strives to achieve its Vision of "a world where innovation and knowledge optimize cardiovascular care and outcomes." Guided by our Strategic Plan, ACC has embarked on diversity and inclusion imperatives that will diversify the cardiovascular workforce, create a more inclusive cardiovascular profession through education and awareness, and lastly, improve cardiovascular health outcomes for all patient groups.
These initial programs will focus largely on those identified groups who have been historically underrepresented in cardiology (URC); African American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, Women, Native American and Indigenous Peoples, and more.
- Interns and Residents in US accredited internal medicine programs
- Completed IM Residency and pursing formal Cardiology fellowship training
- Expose internal medicine trainees (interns and residents) to opportunities in the field of cardiology through an in-person program organized by ACC;
- Create relationships and connections for interested program participants with ACC mentors and leaders in the cardiovascular field;
- Establish a network of peers, mentors, and leaders for lifelong communication and support;
- Provide access to all ACC educational resources and tools; and
- Ensure successful matriculation into a cardiology fellowship training program along with growth as an ACC cardiovascular professional.
Steering Work Group (WG)
Quinn Capers, IV, MD, FACC
Chair of D & I Committee
Melvin Echols, MD, FACC
Melanie Sulistio, MD, FACC
Program Format and Highlights
The full-day virtual program will include:
- Welcome with the ACC leaders
- Meeting with partnering organization leaders
- Presentations by leaders in the field of cardiology on available opportunities, success rates, and pragmatics
- Panel discussion with Q&A to address questions and concerns of trainees
- Networking with leaders and mentors
- Relationship building with program cohort